Friday, November 14, 2014

Nov. 20, 2014

Ongoing assignments:

1. finish your short story rough draft if you haven't

2. read and comment on each other's rough drafts to return on Thursday

3. read and comment on each other's literary arts blogs


Additional assignments by unit:


PHOTOGRAPHY

Today we began our photography unit and what a blast we're going to have!!! Photography is so fun and exciting! I hope you gain a love for it as much as I do!

This week your photography assignment is to practice gaining skills in the things we talked about in class. Take pictures to practice using:


Choose 2-3 of your favorite photos that you take this week and email them to Sister Johnson by Wednesday morning, November 19, so we can all view them in class and talk about the good things we are doing! The photos you choose to share can deal with any of the above topics. HAVE FUN!



POETRY

1. Write a poem where a concrete object, person, place, or experience is also a symbol of something greater. Refer to The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost in your Writers Workbook p. 92. Post it on your blog.

2. Write a poem using personification. Read the following poem by Sylvia Plath and notice how the mirror and the lake is personified. Try it in your own poem. Choose an object, animal, feeling, or concept and play with the idea of giving it human character traits. Post your poem on your blog.

 

Mirror, by Silvia Plath

I am silver and exact. I have no preconceptions.

Whatever I see I swallow immediately

Just as it is, unmisted by love or dislike.

I am not cruel, only truthful--

The eye of a little god, four-cornered.

Most of the time I meditate on the opposite wall.

It is pink, with speckles. I have looked at it so long

I think it is a part of my heart. But it flickers.

Faces and darkness separate us over and over.


Now I am a lake. A woman bends over me,

Searching my reaches for what she really is.

Then she turns to those liars, the candles or the moon.

I see her back, and reflect it faithfully.

She rewards me with tears and an agitation of hands.

I am important to her. She comes and goes.

Each morning it is her face that replaces the darkness.

In me she has drowned a young girl, and in me an old woman

Rises toward her day after day, like a terrible fish.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment